Energy Saving Tips
We’ve got some practical every day tips which when combined with a smart Prepay Meter from PrePay Power can visibly reduce your energy wastage and your costs easily.
Easy Energy Saving Tips
- Only boil as much water as you need in your kettle. Filling the kettle full each time you boil it can waste almost €20 a year.
- Defrost your freezer regularly. There shouldn’t be more than a quarter of an inch of ice in the box.
- Fit a good quality 80mm (3”) lagging jacket around your water tank. This will insulate the tank, keeping water warmer for longer.
- When cooking, cover saucepans with lids where possible to reduce cooking time.
- Grilling food uses less energy than oven cooking and it takes less time.
- Use low wattage bulbs in areas where appropriate, such as hallways.
- When buying new appliances, check the energy efficiency labels and buy the best rated appliance you can afford. “A” is the most energy efficient and “G” is the least efficient.
- Turn your hot water down. Just 5°C will make a big difference.
- You can save a significant amount of energy by switching off lights and appliances (e.g. TVs and PCs). Turn them off fully – don’t leave them on standby as they will often still use energy.
- Use your dishwasher instead of hand washing dishes. Hand washing uses more water that needs to be expensively heated.
- When using the washing machine, ensure it is a full load when possible.
- Wash your clothes in the washing machine at 30°C. Most modern detergents work fine at this temperature.
- Keep tumble drying to a minimum – dry clothes naturally instead.
- Keep your fridge and freezer door closed to minimise warming.
Visit PREPAYPOWER.IE to Learn more about their Budget controler and how you can avail of their FREE meter and FREE installation.